LUIS MIGUEL ELÍAS
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Projects and Infraestructure
- Capital Markets
- Juris Doctor by Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú Law School, 2005
Mining Transactions, Streamings and Royalties
- Counsel to Glencore in the tender offer for $ 956 million and acquisition of a controlling stake in Volcan Compañía Minera.
- Counsel to Hudbay in the precious metals stream for $ 430 million agreed with Silver Wheaton (now Wheaton Precious Metals) using the production of the Constancia mine as reference.
- Counsel to Milpo (now Nexa Resources) in the silver stream for $ 250 million agreed with Triple Flag using the production of the Cerro Lindo mine as reference
- Counsel to Glencore on the $ 900 million stream agreed with Silver Wheaton (now Wheaton Precious Metals) using the production of Antamina as reference.
- Counsel to Hudbay in the $ 350 million refinancing of its facility for the development of the Constancia mine, and in the cross-collateralization in respect of the Rosemont and Constancia mines.
- Counsel to the Empresa Minera Los Quenuales in the acquisition of the Contonga mine and other material mining assets and rights previous held by Nyrstar.
- Counsel to Nexa Resources on the $ 100 million loan with ABN AMRO Bank N.V. to finance the export of zinc.
- Counsel to Scotiabank on the 200 million financing granted to Goldfields La Cima for the development of the Cerro Corona mine.
- Counsel to Glencore in the sale to Trevali mining of a concentrator plant required to operate the Santander mine, the offtakes agreements, operation and mantainence contracts for the Santander mine, and repayment of the $ 40 million debt of Trevali Mining to the benefit of Glencore.
- Counsel to BNP Paribas on the $ 50 million facilities granted to the Moly-Cop group to finance the acquisition of mining equipment and machinery worldwide.
- Counsel to Hudbay Peru in the mining equipment leasebacks for an aggregate amount of $ 22.4 million executed with Scotiabank, BCP and Interbank, respectively, for the acquisition of Caterpillar machinery.
- Counsel to Pandion Mine Finance in the refinancing and mining securities to secure the $ 7 million prepaid forward purchase agreement with Lupaka Gold in respect of the Invicta mining project.
- Counsel to Auramet Trading in the constitution of mining royalties and securities over the mining assets of Compañía Minera San Juan.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Counsel to a group of over 100 sellers in the sale of PECSA, a leading gas retail company in Peru, in favor of the Corporación Primax for an undisclosed amount.
- Counsel to Sura and Grupo Wiese on the $ 268 million sale of Seguros Sura to Intercorp.
- Counsel to Grupo Wiese in the $ 247 million acquisition by CDPQ of a minority stake in SURA Asset Management formerly held by Grupo Wiese and Bancolombia.
- Counsel to Energía del Pacífico on the sale of a strategic stake in Kallpa Generación S.A. and Samay I S.A. to I Squared Capital for $ 341.8 million.
- Counsel in the process and sale of a majority stake in Copeinca ASA owned by Dyer & Coriat Holding and in the $ 800 million tender offer launched by the China Fishery Group on the Oslo and Lima Stock Exchanges.
- Sale of AmBev Perú for $ 64 million to a subsidiary of AB InBev in context of the global merger and integration process among AB InBev and SABMiller.
- Counsel to Grupo Wiese and De Osma family in the sale of Hermes Transportes Blindados S.A. in favor of The Carlyle Group for an undisclosed amount.
- Counsel to AmBev Peru in the sale of its production plant and other assets of the PepsiCo branded non-alcoholic beverages business to the Guatemalan group CBC.
- Acquisition by Grupo Wiese and De Osma family of a strategic stake in Hermes Transportes Blindados S.A. formerly held by Brink’s Inc.
- Counsel to the Mexican group Casa Saba in the sale of Farmacias Peruanas S.A. (FASA) to Quicorp.Counsel to Cosapi in the sale of Cosapi S.A. in Cosapi Data,
- Cosapi Soft and Computer Doctor to Altra Investments.
- Acquisition by Cruz Blanca Salud of a majority stake in Anglolab, a leading private laboratory for clinical analysis and medical samples in Peru.
- Acquisition by Cruz Blanca Salud of RESOMASA, a leading private MRI and related medical services company, for an undisclosed amount.
- Acquisition by The Bank of Nova Scotia of a controlling stake in the pension fund manager Profuturo AFP S.A.
- Acquisition by Casa Saba of Farmacias Ahumada in Mexico, Peru, Brazil and Chile for approximately $ 637 millions.
- Counsel to Corporación Monte Azul in the $ 50 million aggregate facility granted by BCP, Credicorp Capital and co-financed by Monte Azul’s shareholders for the construction and development of its terminal project for the reception, storage and dispatch of liquid fuels in Mollendo, Arequipa.
- Counsel to La Virgen S.A.C. in the $ 80 million credit facility granted by CAF and DEG for the development and operation of its hydroelectric power plant in Junín.
- Counsel to The Bank of Nova Soctia in the $ 200 million financing granted to Goldfields La Cima for the development of Cerro Corona gold and copper mines located in western Peru.
- Counsel to GEPSA in the $ 100 million facility granted by a group of lenders for the construction and operation of three hydroelectric power plant projects in the department of Puno, as well as the maintenance of a hydroelectric plant in Arequipa.
- Counsel to International Finance Corporation (IFC), financial arm of the World Bank, in the $ 217 million facility granted to APM Terminals Callao for the expansion of its Callao port terminal.
- Counsel to La Virgen in the $ 50 million bridge financing granted by Banco Santander to partially finance the working capital required for the construction of a hydroelectric power plant.
- Counsel to IFC in the $ 40 million financing granted to Universidad Privada de Ciencias Aplicadas – UPC, private university owned by Laureate group.
- Counsel to Grupo Gloria and Yura S.A. in the $ 50 million financing granted by JPMorgan Chase Bank and The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi.
- Counsel to Hudbay Minerals in the issuance of Senior Unsecured Notes for up to $ 1.0 billion in international markets.
- Counsel to Citigroup, JPMorgan, Morgan Stanley and BTG Pactual in the initial issuance of 20,000,000 shares of InRetail Perú Corp., holding of the Intercorp Group’s retail companies, in international markets.
- Counsel to Sonda S.A., a Chilean company leader in IT services in Latin America, in the issuance of 53,046,657 shares in international markets, with the participation of Goldman Sachs & Co., BTG Pactual and Celfin Capital as structors.
- Counsel to Lima Airport Partners S.R.L. in the issuance of Global Notes for $ 164 million in international markets.
- Counsel to Aeropuertos Dominicanos Siglo XXI (Aerodom), an airport operator controlled by Advent International, in the issuance of up to $ 550 million in international debt.
- Counsel to BTG Pactual and Deutsche Bank in the issue of debt (high yield) made by SMU S.A. (Chile) up to $ 300 million in international markets.
- Counsel to Copeinca in the initial issuance of $ 175 million Unsecured Notes in the international markets.
“Metal Streaming: Conceptos, auge y actualidad” por Luis Miguel Elías. Revista Advocatus: Derecho Minero, Ambiental y de los Recursos Energéticos. 2018.
T: (511) 442 5100
Laura San Miguel
T: (511) 4425100 A: 238
Luis Miguel Elias is partner at Rebaza, Alcázar & De Las Casas and leads the Mining and Projects area. He is a juris doctor by Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú with experience in corporate finance and mining.
Luis Miguel has advised national and international clients on corporate strategy and execution of investments, divestments, project financing, joint ventures, among others, in various industrial sectors, with special emphasis on mining.
Likewise, he has more than 15 years of legal practice in mergers and acquisitions, antitrust and financing. His versatile practice has a special emphasis on the mining industry, infrastructure, and energy projects, as well as the transactional aspects of extractive or natural resource companies.
During 2012 – 2013 Luis Miguel was part of Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP as an international associate in the New York office.